There are some pieces of electronics that actually last a good while if you spend a bit of extra dough in the upfront. A/V receivers are one of those items. You see, the technology in these big black boxes is always moving forward, but you can absolutely stay ahead of the curve and buy a very future proof receiver if you know what to look for. You could easily be enjoying this for over a decade or beyond. We think the best future proof A/V receiver on the market right now (and for a reasonable price) is the Denon AVRX4200W.
Denon has been pumping out some of the best A/V receivers for decades. But we would argue that they really came into the own in the past 10 years. They have really found a great sweet spot in terms of quality VS price. Not only this, but they have been able to push the industry forward with really technically advanced features in recent years. The Denon AVRX4200W is a 7.2 channel receiver, each pumping out 125 watts of power which for most people will be more than enough. It supports 3D and the lastest video format: 4K at 60 frames per second. This is the feature you will want to make a necessity in your next A/V receiver purchase. Moving forward, this will be the new standard for high quality Bluray and other Ultra HD content. It has built-in WIFI and bluetooth for connecting to your favorite music streaming services.
The coolest thing about this receiver is that it has built-in support for the newest surround sound formats: Dolby Atmos, DTS: X, and Auro 3D. These are uncompressed surround sound formats that allow users to install speakers not only on the walls, but also in an array across the ceiling. It may sound like overkill, and it probably is for most homes, but don’t knock it until you hear it! Regardless, the Denon AVRX4200W fully supports it. It is these features and the overall quality of the receiver that make us think that it is the best future proof A/V receiver available today.
Denon AVRX4200W 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- 7.2 channel A/V Receiver with 125W per channel
- 3D and 4K Ultra HD/60Hz full rate pass-through with 4:4:4 color resolution, HDR, BT.2020. 8 HDMI inputs (incl. 1 front) with full HCDP 2.2 support • Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Dolby Atmos (up to 5.1.4 or 7.1.2), DTS:X ready (via firmware update), Auro-3D upgradable. Instant content: Airplay, Spotify Connect, Pandora, SiriusXM Internet Radio, DLNA, DSD,FLAC, ALAC and AIFF High Resolution streaming
- IP control capability with the HEOS Link turns any stereo system into a wireless zone (HEOS LINK sold separately)