Every household needs a good cordless drill. And it needs to be reliable when you need it. Be it tightening a few screws or doing full-on do-it-yourself projects. The technology has come a long way in the past decade and the power these new breeds of cordless drill can output is formidable, even matching many corded varieties. Not only that, but the batteries actually last a decent amount of time now. You won’t be cursing the name of the lithium ion gods anytime soon.
Now for our picks for the top 5 best cordless drills that you can buy for the money.
First up is the DEWALT DCD790D2 20V MAX XR as our number one pick. This is an absolute beast. At 20V, you won’t be lacking in power. The brushless motor design is bleeding edge and will provide much more efficient movement and smarter control over the torque on the drill. This particular set is an awesome value, featuring 2 powerful 20V max XR compact Li-ion batteries, a fast charging dock, a belt holder and a kit box. It truly is one of the best drills on the more powerful side of the spectrum.
The PORTER-CABLE PCCK602L2 20V MAX Lithium 2 Tool Combo Kit is our next pick as the set is a great deal. For $159 you’re getting a great drill and impact driver set. This isn’t a brushless design, but for the money you’d be hard-pressed to find a better deal. On nice feature on the Porter is the fuel gauge that tells you how much charge is left in your battery. The Makita CT200RW 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit is a comparable set from Makita. Featuring 18V fast-charging batteries, you won’t be without power even if you’re doing a long job. Makita is one of the favorites among BIFL enthusiasts out there due to their “bulletproof” reputation. And we can’t recommend it more.
The key here is to pick a manufacturer, knowing that you are buying into their “system.” That being the battery and charger system. If you buy a Dewalt drill, you can often use the batteries in their saws and other tools. So perhaps take a gander at the other tools offered by each of these companies before jumping in.
Here is the full list of our top 5 best cordless drills from least to most expensive:
DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit
- Constructed to minimize user fatigue. Dual speed range, 0-450/0-1,500 rpm, delivers optimal performance
- Includes DC970 Drill/Driver Charger, two 18V batteries ,Contractor Bag
- Compact size fits into the tightest conditions.1/2-inch single sleeve key-less ratcheting chuck for tighter bit grip
- Lightweight design (4.7 lbs.) minimizes user fatigue
- High performance motor delivers maximum power of 380 unit watts out. Battery Amp hours - 1.2.
Dewalt DCD771C2 20V MAX Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 inch Compact Drill Driver Kit with IMPACT READY FlexTorq Screw Driving Set, 40-Piece
$116.99 in stock
- Compact, lightweight design fits into tight areas
- High performance motor delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power ability completing a wide range of applications
- High speed transmission delivers 2 speeds (0-450 & 1,500 rpm) for a range of fastening and drilling applications
- 10x Magnetic Screw Lock
- Reduces breakage and longer life
PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Drill Combo Kit, 2-Tool (PCCK602L2)
- Cordless drill combo kit features 330 Units Watts Out (UWO), two speed gear box (0-400/0-1,600), compact design (7.6-inch long/3.8 lbs) and 1/2-inch metal ratcheting chuck
- Impact Driver in the cordless tool set features 1,495 in/lbs of torque, 0-2,900 RPM, 0-3,100 BPM, compact design (6.2-inch long/3.5 lbs) and a one handed easy load 1/4-inch hex chuck
- Cordless power tools have a battery fuel gauge that displays charge remaining in the battery
- 20V MAX Lithium Ion batteries with 1.5 amp/hour cells delivers more power and runtime in a smaller package
Makita XFD131 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2" Driver-Drill Kit (3.0Ah)
3 used from $106.96
- Mechanical 2-speed transmission (0-500 and 0-1,900 RPM) for a wide range of drilling and fastening applications
- BL Brushless motor delivers 440 in.lbs. of Max Torque
- Efficient BL Brushless Motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- Makita XFD131 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2" Driver-Drill Kit (3.0Ah)
Bosch 18V Compact 1/2" Drill/Driver Kit with (2) 1.5 Ah Slim Pack Batteries GSR18V-190B22
- Performance: The Bosch GSR18V 190B22 drill/driver kit provides an enhanced torque rating, delivering 480 inches lbs of torque for improved productivity
- COMPACT: Featuring a compact, lightweight design, the GSR18V 190B22 weighs only 2.75 lbs (Tool only, not including battery) and has only a 7.8 inches head length
- ACCURACY: With 20 plus 1 clutch settings, the drill/driver provides accuracy for reduced fastener damage; The keyless ratcheting 1/2 inches chuck with auto lock enables easier bit changes
- VERSATILITY: The GSR18V 190B22 provides 2 speed settings, allowing for high speed (0 1, 700 RPM) setting and high power (0 450 RPM) mode
- CONVENIENT: The GSR18V 190B22 includes a built in LED light, an ergonomically designed soft grip handle, 2 1.5 Ah SlimPack batteries, an 18V charger and a carrying bag
Milwaukee 2494-22 M12 Cordless Combination 3/8" Drill / Driver and 1/4" Hex Impact Driver Dual Power Tool Kit (2 Lithium Ion Batteries, Charger, and Bag Included)
2 used from $116.99
- 3/8" DRILL / DRIVER (2407-20): This all-metal drill / driver combines the compact size of a 12 volt tool with Milwaukee’s highest standards for power. With speeds reaching 1,500 RPM and a 20 position clutch to adjust your torque up to 275 inch pounds, you’ll have more than enough power to drive fasteners and drill holes through a variety of residential and industrial projects
- 1/4" HEX IMPACT DRIVER (2462-20): A whopping 2,500 RPM and 1,000 Inch Pounds of torque define this beast of a 12 Volt tool. Handling of it is supported with the textured grip, which gives you improved control in slippery conditions. It also has an onboard LED lighting system for your driving subjects in dimmer areas, and a fuel gauge that lets you know how much work you can still do on a single charge
- 2 x 12 VOLT LITHIUM ION BATTERIES (48-11-2401): These 12V Lithium Ion batteries can power the M12 line of Milwaukee power tools. They come packed with RedLink intelligence, an innovation that allows communication between the battery and the tools they power. This communication prevents them from sending too much power into the tool and potentially overheating it. On top of that, their compact size gives you the greatest ease of control out of any other M12 li ion battery
- M12 BATTERY CHARGER (48-22-2424): This will take care of your M12 batteries without a problem. It has a battery charging status indicator that lets you know if a battery is charging, has charged, or requires maintenance. It even boasts a pass-through plug to conserve your outlet space
- CONTRACTOR BAG: Keep your tools, batteries, and chargers in this contractor’s bag. It has thick cross-x stitching keeping its handles in place, and its rugged fabric will keep whatever is stored in it protected