We have done posts on durable watches before, but we haven’t gone for the truly rugged models that are out there. We are talking the types of watches Navy Seals take into battle and that IronMan runners use. If you’re in the market for a watch that can take anything that is thrown at it, you’re in the right place. We didn’t really break these down in terms of categories. Instead, we just compiled a short list of what the watch industry considers to be the most durable watches you can buy.
The five toughest durable watches (according to us)
The first one we really like is the Victorinox Dive Master. Victorinox is known for their excellent pocket knives and other tools and this quality carries over to the Dive Master. Not only is it an excellent choice, but it isn’t one of the most expensive watches around. So you can get top notch quality with a modest investment. It features a stainless steel case that is waterproof up to 1640 feet! They don’t call it the Dive Master for nothing…
If you want to step it up a notch, check out the Luminox Sea Anu. Featuring a glowing tritium coating on the face, this watch is ideal for nighttime use. The big draw of this watch is that it is actually authorized by the Navy Seals to be used in battle! So rest assured that this is the absolute top of the tippy top in terms of watch quality and durability out there.
If you’re interested in a digital watch, look no further than the G-Shock Master of G Rangeman. This watch is constructed out of carbon fibre for increased durability but with a fraction of the weight. And since it is part of Casio’s G-Shock line, this thing can withstand a crazy beating and keep on ticking. It is powered by solar power so you won’t have to replace batteries any time soon either. Lastly, it has a Triple Sensor design which features an Altimeter/Barometer, Thermometer and Compass. This is a great buy considering the features that it packs into such a durable package.
Now for our budget pick. The TIMEXAr Expedition Gallatin is only around $50, but is truly a very durable watch. Featuring 50 metre water resistance and a very durable case thanks to the mixed materials that Timex has employed here. It is nowhere near as durable as, say, the Luminox above, but it will certainly get the job done for most “light adventurer” types. It also looks super slick!
The last watch in our list is actually a digital GPS watch. The Suunto Traverse is one of the best GPS watches around and features an amazing array of features in a super durable case. It can even be connected to your smartphone to show incoming calls and texts. It isn’t really a traditional smartwatch like an Apple Watch though. This watch is made for people who use GPS regularly and need something that will take a few bumps along the way. For those hikers and geocaching experts out there, this watch is for you.
The five toughest durable watches you can buy rundown
Each of the watches on this list are considered “buy it for life” BIFL and are at the absolute pinnacle of quality watch making. Especially if you are active or into outdoor activities, you will want to check out these watches before pulling the trigger.
Victorinox Swiss Army Men's 241429 Dive Master 500 Black Ice Black Dial Watch
- Dive watch in onyx-tone finish featuring unidirectional bezel and round black dial with luminous hands/indices, 12/24 time, and date window
- 43 mm stainless steel case with anti-reflective sapphire dial window
- Quartz movement with analog display
- Stainless steel band and fold-over clasp with safety closure
- Water resistant to 500 m (1640 ft): In general, suitable for mixed-gas diving
Luminox Mens Watch Leatherback Sea Turtle Giant 44mm Black Green Display Gold Numbers (XS.0333): 100 M Water Resistant + Super Luminova + Carbonox Case
$215.95 in stock
- Download and print new PDF Size-Guide to ensure the watch fits your wrist. Please, precisely follow all the instructions mentioned in the PDF for a seamless and accurate printing.
- Its iconic "turtle shape" makes the Leatherback Sea Turtle series more than just reminiscent of its namesake. Its functionality on and underwater also make it live up to its name making it an exceptional timepiece for on and off water use.
- Technical Specifications: 100 meters / 330 feet / 10 ATM water resistant, Hardened mineral glass, Unidirectional rotating Bezel, Date, Protected crown, CARBONOX screw on case back
- Lighting Technology: Orange & green Luminox Light Technology on dial ring and minute and hour hands (LLT) and green Super-LumiNova on bezel dot (SLN) - LLT: Self-powered illumination system employing tiny micro gas light sources; Always visible under any circumstances; Never press a button to light up; Does not need a battery to illuminate; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for up to 25 years. SLN: Light-powered illumination system; Provides glow for up to 1 hour.
- Details: Case diameter 44 mm, Case thickness 12 mm, Band length 210 mm, Band width 22 mm, Black CARBONOX case with Black Nylon band and Black dial
Casio Men's GW-9400BJ-1JF G-Shock Master of G Rangeman Digital Solar Black Carbon Fiber Insert Watch
$278.84 in stock
1 used from $222.56
- Carbon Fiber Insert Watch Band
- Multi-Band 6 Atomic Timekeeping
- Tough Solar, Shock Resistant
- Triple Sensor (Altimeter/Barometer, Thermometer and Compass)
TIMEXAr Expedition Gallatin Black One Size
- Lightweight & Rugged Resin Outdoor Construction
- Black Double Layer Nylon Slip-Thru Strap
- Easy-Set Quick-Date
- Indiglo Light-Up Watch Dial
- Water resistant to 50m (165ft): in general, suitable for short periods of recreational swimming, but
Suunto Traverse Graphite
- Upload routes to your watch, and you're ready to explore new terrains with the help of GPS and glonass Satellite navigation systems
- Follow your Progress with distance and altitude statistics, save points of interest and re trace your steps using the breadcrumb trail
- Barometric Trend helps predict weather changes, and storm alarm alerts you when it's time to find shelter
- Sunrise and sunset times keep you informed of the Available daylight hours. Up to 100 hours battery life
- Stay up to date with GPS timekeeping, incoming calls, texts and push notifications from your Smartphone to your watch. Silicone Strap