I can’t count how many pairs of pants I have gone through in just the past couple years. For those of you that are in the trades or just generally are on a search for the most durable (yet not ridiculous-looking) pants, we have brought you our picks for the top 5 most durable pants. We would argue that these are the world’s toughest pants.
The idea of this post is to highlight pants that aren’t too “heavy duty.” We’re not talking about khakis that make it look like you are shipping off to Afghanistan.
For the money the Carhatt Carpenter pants are great for someone working in the trades. In fact, these are probably the toughest work pants around. They tend to fit a bit large, so if you have a small waist, consider looking at the next four options. The 5.11 TacLite are probably the least civilian-looking pants on this list. But we had to include because they are such beasts. You can’t kill these things, featuring YKK zippers and enough pockets for pretty much anyone. If you’re not into cargo pockets (which to be honest, is not my cup of tea), check out the Pranas below. But overall, these are likely your best bet for the best work pants for construction workers or other trades.
I’m a huge fan of Prana pants. The Zion is kind of their all-purpose super comfortable pant. I use these as my goto “on the plane” pant due to how ridiculously comfortable they are. They use spandex but are also really durable. If you’re in the market for something even more robust, Prana makes the Brion. These are more of a hiking style pant but they still look pretty normal. You wouldn’t look out of place wearing a black pair of these at a bar while traveling. In a pinch you could consider these the most durable dress pants around. They can definitely pass in a work environment (albeit a little casual).
Lastly, we included the Fjallraven Vidda Pro trousers. These are a bit more expensive than the rest on the list but they really shine in terms of durability. And again, these are pants for normal folks, not Jason Bourne. These indeed might be the toughest pants on the planet.
From least expensive to the most, here are our picks for the top 5 most durable pants you can buy that can be considered BIFL:
prAna Men's Standard Brion Pant, Charcoal, 34W x 30L
- THE ANYTHING PANT: The Brion Pant is made with our original Stretch Zion fabric and features durable details; Ideal everyday pant for everything from commuting to work to climbing your favorite spot
- CLASSIC LOOK: Rugged, simple design in neutral colors that pair well with anything; Features classic 5-pocket styling with a fixed waist and belt loops
- WATER REPELLENT: Quick-dry Stretch Zion woven fabric with a durable water repellent (DWR) finish and UPF 50+ protection keep you cool and dry on sunny days
- DURABLE FABRIC: These adventure-ready pants are abrasion-resistant and feature reinforced rivets, making them the perfect choice for climbing, hiking or any outdoor activity
- SLIM FIT: Pants that feel as good as they look; Available in 4 inseam lengths: 30 in (11.8 cm), 32 in (12.6 cm), 34 in (13.4 cm) and 36 in (14.2 cm)
5.11 Tactical Men's Taclite Pro Lightweight Performance Pants, Cargo Pockets, Action Waistband, Black, 36W x 30L, Style 74273
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL - Constructed using premium polyester and cotton mechanical stretch Taclite ripstop fabric with a triple-stitching built, this pair of pants is sturdy and flexible to ensure maximum performance in the field.
- TEFLON-TREATED FABRIC - Coated with Teflon, these pants have a protective finish that resists stain, soil, and moisture without compromising breathability. The coating also makes it easier to clean this garment!
- FULLY GUSSETED CONSTRUCTION - Featuring a gusseted inseam and a fitted appearance, this pair of pants offers optimum flexibility and a comfortable fit to eliminate your worries about rips and tears.
- SPECIALIZED POCKETS - Specially designed for professionals on the go, this pair of pants has 8 pockets including strap-and-slash seat pockets to provide ample storage and easy access to all your mission-critical gear.
- TRUSTED BRAND - Developed with quality in mind, 5.11 Tactical offers a wide range of products that includes shirts, pants, bags, accessories, and more. Defining their brand through challenge and fortitude, 5.11 promises readiness beyond limits.
Fjallraven - Men's Vidda Pro Trousers Long, Black-Black, 46
$115.42 in stock
- Your next trek won't be an issue when Fjallraven Vidda Pro has your back.
- Durable, wind and water resistant G-1000 with double reinforcements over the rear and knees.
- Zip off function enables lower leg to be used as gaiters.
- Pre-shaped knees and rear for added durability and mobility.
- Seven pockets, including a map pocket, axe pocket and inner safety pocket.
Carhartt Men's Loose Fit Five Pocket Canvas Carpenter Pant B159, Charcoal, 30W X 30L
- Carhartt Company Gear Collection
- Features straight leg opening. Sits slightly above the waist
- The jean includes two hammer loops as well as a cell phone pocket and utility pocket
- 100% Cotton
- Machine wash warm - like colors
prAna Men's Standard Stretch Zion Pant, Charcoal, 32W x 30L
- prAna Men's Bottoms Size Chart
- Welcome to the Promised Land of climbing pants—the Stretch Zion Pant's technical, lightweight design was created with climbers in mind.
- Standard fit skims the body with a slight contour.
- Stretch Zion fabric:• Durable nylon with a touch of movement-friendly stretch.• DWR (durable water repellent) finish sheds moisture.• UPF 50+ fabrication blocks harmful UVA/UVB rays.
- Belt loop waistband with adjuster. Zip fly and button closure. Ventilated inseam gusset allows easy movement. Pockets:• Two slant hand.• Two rear patch.• Dual-entry cargo at left. Roll-up hem with snap closure. 97% nylon, 3% spandex. Machine wash, tumble dry. Imported. Measurements: Waist Measurement: 32 in Outseam: 34 in Inseam: 32 in Front Rise: 11 in Back Rise: 15 in Leg Opening: 18 in Convertible Inseam: 43 in Product measurements w
You’re a lunatic. 100 dollars for ONE pair of (non-specialized) WORK pants?!?!