Admit it, you’ve bought some crappy sunglasses before. They scratch, chip and generally fail… And often way too fast. The reality is that most of the sunglasses you’ll see on sale at places like Sunglass Hut are pretty much worthless. In fact, most of these brands are all made by one company, Luxottica. Brands that you may think are very high quality were bought out years ago by Luxottica and are merely a shell of their former glory. That isn’t to say that you can’t find some really great sunglasses out there though. We’ve gone through and listed our absolute favorite 10 most durable sunglasses available today. Sure, in some cases you’ll spend a little bit more, but it’s worth it. In fact, most “meh” sunglasses at Sunglass Hut are pretty expensive anyway… Without further ado, here is our list of our top 10 favorite durable sunglasses that will last you for years (as long as you don’t lose them).
Our absolute favorite sunglasses out there come from Randolph Engineering. These are in fact the sunglasses that the US Air Force gives to all of their fighter jet pilots. They have a definite retro look to them but are an example of an extremely well-designed product. From the frames to the carefully built lenses, these are about as good as you can get. And they look great!
Aside from Randolph Engineering, check out some of the models from Kaenon, Maui JimMaui Jim and Persol. These are just a tiny step below the RE glasses, but are still in the elite category of sunglasses. Each of them use quality frames and in most cases glass, polarized lenses that are damn neat impossible to scratch.
For those of you that spend a lot of time on the water (boating or whatever), check out Costa Del Mar’s selection of sunglasses that are specifically designed for picking up details while on the water.
If you are on more of a budget definitely check out American Optical (also a supplier to the US military), Native sunglasses and the higher end Ray Bans. Yes, that’s right, we recommend some of the Ray Bans on the market. They may still be made by Luxottica, but nothing beats the fashion statement made by a nice pair of Wayfarers. And the top end Ray Bans are actually still pretty well made all things considered.
Listed: Our top 10 favorite durable sunglasses
Randolph USA | 23k Gold Classic Aviator Sunglasses for Men or Women Polarized 100% UV
- HOW TO FIND YOUR SUNGLASS SIZE: Looking in a mirror, hold a ruler horizontally across your face. Measure in inches the distance between your left and right temples. 52mm = 5”, 55mm = 5.25”, 58mm = 5.75” Measuring above 58mm? Check out our Archer which is perfect for large or wide heads.
- GUARANTEED FOR LIFE: Handcrafted in our USA factory, 6 weeks, 200 steps. Lifetime warranty on all frames. Originally engineered for military pilots.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: Genuine embossed hard case & microfiber cleaning cloth.
- BRAND HISTORY: Randolph is family-owned and operated, handcrafting the finest eyewear with top-grade materials and relentless attention to detail and quality since 1973.
- RANDOLPH USA: Authentic sunglasses worn by pilots. We’re also honored to be worn by icons, legends, and stars across the globe.
Kaenon Mens Burnet XL Sunglasses - Blackwash Gun | Grey 12%
- Variflex nose pad – Extra grip with no slip
New Maui Jim Sunglasses Mens 407N Black 2 MJ 407 64mm
- Click the Maui Jim link above to visit our brand store, where you can find our entire catalog of sunglasses
- All Maui Jim sunglasses feature PolarizedPlus2 lens technology that go beyond shielding your eyes from glare and harmful UV rays by enhancing colors to reveal the true beauty of the world around you
- Enjoy ultimate UV protection combined with premuim style, incredible durability, glare-free vision, and color-boosting patented technologies
- Neutral Grey lenses offer the highest available light reduction and are most useful in bright, direct sunlight
- Frames constructed from lightweight, injected nylon, designed for extreme comfort and extended wear time
AO Eyewear Original Pilot Sunglasses 55mm Silver Frames with Bayonet Temples and True Color Grey Glass Lenses (OP55S.BA.TC)
- American Optical
- TRUSTED FOR OVER 50 YEARS- The Original Pilot is American Optical's flagship classic aviator which has been issued to millions of pilots, U.S. soldiers, sailors, Marines, and Airmen since 1958
- FRAME / TEMPLE -Thin Steel frame; a “navigator” style with a wide nose bridge setting the lenses far apart; Bayonet temples curve inward to easily fit underneath helmets headgear or headphones
- PERFORMANCE LENS-Made from reinforced, scratch-resistant glass, they are polished to high perfection and provide stunning optical clarity and distortion-free views; 98% UVA/100% UVB Protection
- AMERICAN CLASSIC- Among the millions of military personnel, these traditional Aviator classics have been worn by iconic figures such as John F. Kennedy and Neil Armstrong
Ray-Ban RB2132 New Wayfarer Sunglasses, Black (622), 52 mm
- Unisex non-polarized sunglasses: The Ray-Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses feature the legendary Ray-Ban crystal lenses. Made from high-quality glass, Ray-Ban lenses are prescription ready.
- 100% UV protection: To protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, these non-Polarized sunglasses include glass lenses that are coated with 100% UV protection.
- Reduce eye strain: New Wayfarer sunglasses feature precision-cut, scratch-resistant glass lenses that improve visual clarity, and help Reduce eye strain while outdoors.
- Durable nylon frames: Our New Wayfarer sunglasses are incredibly durable. The frame is made from lightweight yet strong nylon construction. The bridge measures 18 mm, and the arms are 145 mm for an easy, comfortable fit.
- Multiple frame and lens colors: Choose from multiple frame colors—including black and tortoise—and multiple lens colors and treatments—including non-polarized gradient lenses.
Native Eyewear Sightcaster Polarized Rectangular Sunglasses, Desert Tan/Bronze, 64 mm
- Our premium Polarized lenses show the details that hide beneath the surface, and create a color-rich experience that is more descriptive than the naked Eye
- The surface of the lens repels view-obstructing liquids and smudges
- Constructed of lightweight polycarbonate that resists shattering and offers protection from air Born debris
- Interchangeable lens system
- Optimal fit for large to extra large profiles
Costa Del Mar Blackfin Sunglasses, Black, Blue Mirror 580 Plastic Lens
- 100% UV PROTECTION: All Costa Del Mar Eyewear lenses block potentially harmful high-energy visible blue light rays and protect against 100% of Ultraviolet rays (up to 400nm).
- COSTA 580P POLYCARBONATE LENSES: Costa’s patented 580p polycarbonate lenses are lightweight and impact-resistant. 580 lenses go further then normal polarized lenses by blocking the perfect amount of harsh yellow light and potentially harmful blue light while enhancing beneficial reds, blues and greens.
- OPTIMAL USAGE: Costa's Blue Mirrored lenses are great for harsh sun conditions, being out on open relfective water and boating and fishing in deep water.
- CO-INJECTED NYLON FRAMES: Costa's co-injected nylon frames are tough and durable, manufactured using the environmentally friendly bio-resin process. TR-90 nylon is a premier material for sports and performance frames as it is resistant to heat and cold.
- VISIT THE COSTA DEL MAR BRAND SHOP: Visit the Costa Del Mar brand shop to view the entire Costa Del Mar eyewear collection.
Persol PO3059S Square Sunglasses, Terra Di Siena/Gradient Blue Polarized, 54 mm
- Height 2in / 5cm
Smith Lowdown XL Carbonic Polarized Sunglasses
- Medium-Large Fit/Medium-Large Coverage
- Carbonic TLT Lenses
- Evolve Frame Material, Auto-Lock Hinges and Hydrophilic Megol Nose Pads
- 6 Base Lens Curvature