For all of you EDC’ers (everyday carry) and normal folks that need a good reliable pocket knife at work or around the house: this post is for you. What is the very best pocket knife you can buy? That’s a bit of a hard one to answer. It depends on the type, size and materials used in the knife. And of course your budget. The sky is sort of the limit here. But I have done some of the legwork for you and put forth my list of what I consider the top ten best pocket knives.
First off, let’s lay out the ground rules. I’m not talking multi-tools here. Just nice, durable knives. I’m also not going to be looking at one-piece knives. All of these are proper folding knives that can be put in your pocket with ease.
Now that we have that out of the way, here is my pocket knife reviews of the top ten best pocket knives you can buy today.
I have a particular fondness for Spyderco and Kershaw folding knives. If you stay within these two brands you kind of can’t go wrong. You’ll just need to decide on the size of the blade and the type of steel used on the blade. I have had a Spyderco Delica 4 as my main folding knife for almost a decade and absolutely love it. Spyderco’s distinctive thumb hole in the blade makes them some of the easiest to handle out there. If Spyderco isn’t your cup of tea, consider checking out the Kershaw Leek, as it is by far one of the best reviewed knives available. This particular knife comes in several different flavors so shop around.
Another notable mention is the Benchmade Griptillian which has been cited as being nearly indestructible by many in the BIFL community. The Spyderco Paramilitary 2 is essentially a larger bladed version of their smaller Delica 4 and it is also really well reviewed.
These are my absolute favorites, but see the list below for the full top ten best pocket knives that you can buy. They appear from lowest to highest price.
Benchmade 551 Griptilian Plain Drop-Point Satin Finish Knife (Black Nylon Handle)
- HIGH-QUALITY: The CPM-S30V stainless steel blade is extremely well-balanced, offering superb edge qualities and rust resistance. The glass-filled nylon handle is tough yet attractive, making it ideal for hard jobs and everyday carry.
- WELL-DESIGNED: Benchmade's AXIS lock is exceptionally strong and fully ambidextrous. The Griptilian 551 is a manual knife that can be opened and closed single-handedly.
- COMFORTABLE: The 551's lightweight design and handle grips make it comfortable to hold and use. The reversible pocket clip offers ultimate accessibility.
- VERSATILE: The Griptilian 551's drop-point utility blade style and all-around functionality make it ideal for everyday use, outdoor activities and even tactical applications.
Spyderco Delica 4 Lightweight Signature Folding Knife with 2.90" Flat-Ground Steel Blade and High-Strength Black FRN Handle - PlainEdge - C11FPBK
$75.00 in stock
- Wide Spectrum of Handle Colors - The Delica 4 now offers new vibrant tones including blue, green, brown, gray, orange, zome green, black and purple.
- Superior Blade Steel - The blades are full flat-ground VG-10 Steel with a thinner highly refined cutting edge and a larger 13mm opening hole.
- Ultra-Lightweight - Inside the handle are dual skeletonized stainless steel liners which strengthen the knife without additional weight and double as an anchor for external and internal components to attach through generating more sturdiness.
- Ergonomic - Added to the blade's spine is slip resistant jimping. Phosphor bronze washers smooth out the open/close action and the clip is upgraded to a four-way tip-up, tip-down, left-or right-handed clip.
- A Secure Grip - Molded onto the FRN Handle's surface is Bi-Directional Texturing for slip-free tactile traction. It provides resistance to slipping in the hand.
Spyderco Tenacious Folding Utility Pocket Knife with 3.39" Black Stainless Steel Blade and Durable G-10 Handle - Everyday Carry - PlainEdge - C122GBBKP
$61.60 in stock
- Game Changer - Being tenacious means you are persistent and cohesive. It's being tough and tireless in achieving your best performance; all worthy descriptive words for a hard-use knife
- Superior Blade Steel - The 3.39" 8Cr13MoV stainless blade is coated in a non-reflective black coating and ground-flat from spine to cutting-edge for non-stop cutting.
- A Secure Grip - It has a black G-10 laminate handle, Ergonomically milled with prolonged fatigue-free cutting in mind.
- Easy-to-Use - The blade's shape coupled with an oversized Spyderco Round Hole and textured spine jimping allows you to open the blade and position your thumb on the spine in slip-proof confidence ready for work
- Pocket-Friendly - The Tenacious includes a Walker LinerLock and a 4-way pocket clip lets the folder be set in a variety of carry and draw positions: Tip-up/tip-down left-hand/right-hand.
Kershaw Leek, Black Folding Knife (1660CKT); 3” 14C28N Sandvik Steel Blade, 410 Stainless Steel Handle, Both DLC-Coated; SpeedSafe Assisted Opening, Liner Lock, Tip Lock, Reversible Pocketclip; 3 OZ.
- Versatile 3” modified drop-point blade crafted with one of the world’s highest performing knife steels for increased corrosion resistance and edge retention
- DLC-coated blade and handle for added hardness, superior scratch resistance and a stealthy matte-black finish
- Handle features a stainless steel body, ambidextrous SpeedSafe assisted opening system, frame lock, tip-lock, reversible pocketclip and lanyard hole
- Great gift for any special occasion- birthdays, weddings, graduations, anniversaries, employee appreciation and more
- Made in the USA by Kershaw’s expert engineers, and backed by a limited lifetime warranty
Opinel DIY No.9 Stainless Steel Folding Knife and Multi-Tool
- The smart tool-knife essential in your tool bag, car and office: sturdy drop point blade is made of durable Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel and is notched at the base to serve as both a wire stripper and wire cutter
- Virobloc: Invented by Opinel in 1955, the Virobloc double safety ring locks the blade in place and also helps protect the hand against slipping
- Handle: Fiberglass-reinforced polyamide withstands shocks and humidity, with two built-in bits : flat head(4 mm screws) and Phillips screwdriver (3. 5 to 5 mm screws), magnetized bit holder
- Screwdriver: Simply fold the blade down, and you've got a screw driver available to tackle those day-to-day tasks
Spyderco Endura4 Nylon Combo Edge/Black
- Crafted from the highest quality materials ensuring quality and durability
- Perfect for every hobbyist and enthusiast
- Made in the U. S. A.
Cold Steel Recon 1 Series Tactical Folding Knife with Tri-Ad Lock and Pocket Clip - Made with Premium CPM-S35VN Steel, Spear Point
$108.57 in stock
1 used from $86.50
- GREAT FOR THE TOUGHEST JOBS: The Recon 1 is a popular knife with Military and Law Enforcement Personnel, Fire and Rescue crews and civilians and is trusted to perform in even the toughest jobs and the most taxing conditions
- PREMIUM STEEL: Features exceptional CPM-S35VN steel, which is very tough and durable, highly corrosion resistant, and able to take and hold a fine razor sharp edge; Commonly used steel in high-end, superior quality custom knives
- COMFORTABLE, SECURE GRIP: Tough and durable G-10 handle material provides a secure and comfortable grip in all conditions
- ULTRA-RELIABLE LOCKING MECHANISM: Features custom knife-maker Andrew Demko's famous TriAd lock that has been proven over time to be unsurpassed in strength, shock resistance and durability and gives unrivaled protection for your irreplaceable fingers
Spyderco Para Military 2 Signature Folding Knife with 3.42" CPM S30V Steel Blade and Durable G-10 Handle - PlainEdge - C81GP2
$171.49 in stock
- An Improved Classic - Undeniably one of Spyderco's most popular and in-demand designs, the Para Military 2 distills the world-class performance of our legendary Military Model into a more compact, Pocket-Friendly package.
- Superior Quality - We kept the same high-performance full flat-ground blade but we've also lengthened the blade's tip and added additional surface jimping to both the spine and finger coil.
- A Secure Grip - The G-10 handle is narrowed at the end improving the Ergonomics. The handle and blade have been profile thinner; removing uncomfortable angles when in the closed position.
- Easy-to-Use - The Para Military 2 features extreme strength, reliability, and ease of use of our patented Compression Lock mechanism and versatility of a 4-position pocket clip.
- Dependable - Refinements to overall construction may not be drastic but from the G-10 textured handle to the steel full flat blade, everything is sharper, smoother and guaranteed to provide performance and user comfort.
Buck Knives 110 Folding Hunter Lock-back Knife, Brass Bolsters, Ebony Handles, 3-3/4" 420HC Clip Point Blade with Leather Sheath
1 used from $56.99
- Razor Sharp Blade - 3-3/4" 420HC stainless steel blade has excellent strength , edge retention and is corrosion resistant. The blade has a very sharp controllable point, and is good for detail work, piercing and slicing
- Strength and Safety - Easy to open with a nail notch on the blade. The lockback mechanism locks the blade open for reliable strength and safety while you work. Closed Length 4-7/8" Weight 7.2 oz.
- Durable and Multi Use - Meant to withstand even the toughest conditions and stay sharp for long. Great for hunting, camping, bushcrafting, fishing, hiking, and overlanding
- Convenient Carry - Includes a genuine high quality protective leather sheath with snap fastener. The integrated belt loop allows for safe and secure carry on your belt for easy access. The 110 is perfect as a hunting companion or for general outdoor use
- Made in the USA - Forever Warranty - Since 1902 Buck Knives has offered a lifetime warranty on our knives because we believe in the integrity of our products. This knife is proudly made in the USA.
Benchmade - Bugout 535 EDC Manual Open Folding Knife Made in USA, Drop-Point Blade, Plain Edge, Coated Finish, Green Grivory Handle, Made in the USA
- HIGH-QUALITY: The CPM-S30V coated stainless steel blade holds an edge exceptionally well and provides great corrosion resistance. The glass-filled Grigori handle is comfortable, thin, tough, and attractive, making it ideal for outdoor use and everyday car
- WELL-DESIGNED: Benchmen's AXIS Lock is exceptionally strong and fully ambidextrous. The Bugout 535-1 is a manual knife that can be opened and closed with just one hand.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The 535-1 weighs less than 2 ounces, making it ideal for backpackers and others concerned with saving weight. The reversible, mini deep-carry pocket clip offers ultimate accessibility.
- VERSATILE: The Bugout 535-1's drop-point, utility blade style and all-around functionality make it ideal for outdoor adventures and everyday use.
- FOR LIFE: Benchmen's limited Lifetime and Life Sharp Service ensure that your knife is in the best condition for its entire life. Whether you need your knife repaired or sharpened, Bench made will take care of it for free.